In 1981, originally formed as â€œBirth Right,â€ we began providing compassionate care to women and men dealing with all the issues surrounding an unplanned pregnancy. In 1984 name changed to Asheville Pregnancy Support Services. The early years were times of struggle with changing leadership and very limited funding. By 2000, the organization had grown and stabilized enough to add a full time director.
- 2003: held our first Gala to raise funds and to begin building the solid donor base needed to support a Medical Clinic.
- 2003: APSS expanded the ministry to offer the Forgiven and Set Free study for women wounded from the choice of abortion in the past
- 2005: the board restructured the organization, hired a CEO, a Director of Client Services and Clinic Director. With the leadership team in place the foundation was set to â€˜go medical.â€™
- 2006: ultrasound clinic opened in December.
- 2013: APSS purchased a building and moved to our new location at 1710 Old Haywood Road.
- 2013: APSS opened an ultrasound clinic at the Tri County Pregnancy Center in Burnsville, NC. This first of a kind partnership has two independent pregnancy centers under one roof, working in cooperation with each other, to provide ultrasound services which otherwise would not be possible.
- 2014: On August 5, 2014 APSS opened a satellite pregnancy center in Mars Hill, NC, adjacent to Mars Hill University, and serving North Buncombe and Madison counties.
- 2015: APSS launched a new ministry called Evaâ€™s Footprints ministering to families who face a devastating diagnosis for their child. We walk with families through all stages of the grief cycle. The Director of Grief Care was hired in July of 2015 to manage the Evaâ€™s Footprints, Pregnancy Loss and the Abortion Recovery ministries.
- 2015: APSS opened another ultrasound clinic in partnership with the McDowell Pregnancy Care Center in Marion, NC. Like the center in Burnsville, this partnership has two independent pregnancy centers under one roof; working in cooperation with each other, to provide ultrasound services which otherwise would not be possible in the McDowell County area.
- 2016: Effective January 1 APSS became MAPS - Mountain Area Pregnancy Services. The expanded name reflects the expanded outreach to other areas in Western North Carolina.